15 December 2010

Butting Heads or Butt Heads...Either way...

So as usual it has been quite some time since my last post.  Alas, in my next lifetime I will become a more responsible blogger.

My new post has little to do with the challenges of living abroad with a toddler, and more to do with just living, anywhere, with a toddler.  Toddlers/preschool age children are notoriously bossy, bratty, and cranky.  And rightfully so.  It is sort of their first crack at being their own person.  They are finding their personalities, their personal and social boundaries, and where they belong in the world around them.  That being said, I get that my daughter (just 3 weeks away from her third birthday) is going to be a force to be reckoned with at times.  My question then is how do I tell the difference?

How do I know when we are butting heads versus when she is just plain being a butt head?  This matter is complicated by the fact that she takes medications that probably make her feel not so great at times.  I mean seriously, a toddler with 'roid rage, 'nuff said.  But really, where is the line?  I feel that our blanket discipline plan of if you do wrong then there is a consequence doesn't always fit anymore.  Who am I to say that you can't stretch your wings and disagree with my opinion?  Additionally, is it right to discipline when you know the situation may be being influenced by medication side effects or exhaustion?  My ultimate fear is that if we begin the practice of making allowances for her because she is medicated, when will they stop?  Any thoughts out there....

No comments:

Post a Comment